March – 1930s
In March, the focus of the 2022 Scandinavian Reading Challenge is books that take place in the 1930s. Find below some highlights and a link to photos from that time period along with book suggestions.
The title in bold is the one I plan to read. Do you have any Scandinavian books that take place during this time period that you recommend or know of? Leave a comment or email me any suggestions. I’d love to hear them.
Some highlights from this decade:
- Whaling – “In the winter of 1930-1931, Norway produced 2,316,962 barrels of whale oil, the best-ever Antarctic season.” (Source: The Norwegian American)
- The Great Depression – Unemployment increased even more; by 1933, at least one-third of the workforce was unemployed. (Source: Britannica)
- Norway claims Queen Maud Land in Antarctica – 1938
- With outbreak of World War II in 1939, Norway along with Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland declare themselves neutral
Photos of the decade:
- Scandinavian Vacation Photos From the 1930s (LifeInNorway.net)
Books to consider:
- Chasing the Light: A Novel of Antarctica by Jesse Blackadder (1930s, Norway and whaling in the Antarctic)
- A Woman in the Polar Night: The Classic Memoir of a Year in the Arctic Wilderness by Christiane Ritter (1930s, Spitsbergen, Svalbard archipelago in northern Norway)
- The Assistant by Kjell Ola Dahl, translated from the Norwegian by Don Bartlett (Historical fiction set in Prohibition-era and interwar Norway, 1920s & 1938)
- The Burnt-Out Town of Miracles by Roy Jacobsen, translated from the Norwegian by Don Bartlett and Don Shaw (1939, Winter War, also known as First Soviet-Finnish War)
Return to #ScandiReadingChallenge: 1900/1910s.
Return to #ScandiReadingChallenge: 1920s.
Jump to #ScandiReadingChallenge: 1940s.
Jump to #ScandiReadingChallenge: 1950s (coming soon).
The links above are affiliate links. I participate in affiliate marketing programs, where I receive a small commission when products are purchased through links on my blog. I greatly appreciate it when you support my blog by clicking on these links to make purchases.